Collection Company Mergers & 1692g Notices

This folder is for general discussion of debt collection issues. As with all postings in this forum, appropriate language and courtesy are to be used or the postings will be struck.
Guest-1669

Collection Company Mergers & 1692g Notices

Post by Guest-1669 »

First of all, thanks for getting this site populated!

I was recently contacted by a debt collector regarding an alleged debt and it did not include the 30-day validation notice. When I inquired why they failed to give the notice, they responded that a previous company (that they had just formally merged with) had already provided the 30-day validation notice.

Does a company "inherit" any protections from sending the notice when it acquires a company that has already complied with the statute? Any caselaw that backs this up either way?
David A. Szwak

Re: Collection Company Mergers & 1692g Notices

Post by David A. Szwak »

Guest-1669 wrote:First of all, thanks for getting this site populated!

I was recently contacted by a debt collector regarding an alleged debt and it did not include the 30-day validation notice. When I inquired why they failed to give the notice, they responded that a previous company (that they had just formally merged with) had already provided the 30-day validation notice.

Does a company "inherit" any protections from sending the notice when it acquires a company that has already complied with the statute? Any caselaw that backs this up either way?
This required some research. I found no case or statute allowing one debt collector to claim benefit of a different debt collector's validation notice.
David Szwak
Chairman, Consumer Protection Section, Louisiana State Bar Association
Bodenheimer, Jones & Szwak
509 Market Street, 7th Floor
Mid South Tower
Shreveport, Louisiana 71101
318-221-6444
Fax 318-221-6555

Return to “General Discussion”