Collection Agency Attempting To Collect Wife's Debt From Me

This folder is for general discussion of debt collection issues. As with all postings in this forum, appropriate language and courtesy are to be used or the postings will be struck.
Guest-1667

Collection Agency Attempting To Collect Wife's Debt From Me

Post by Guest-1667 »

Hello all. I am hoping someone can answer a question for me.
My wife recently had a surgical procedure at a local hospital. Evidently she failed to pay a small after-insurance balance and the hospital sent it to collections. She is covered by my insurance provided by my employer. However, the collection agency is reporting the account on MY credit reports. I did not receive the treatment and did not sign any paperwork at the hospital. She would have used, however, an insurance card with my name on it. Can the collector list this account on my credit report even though her signature would appear on any payment agreements documents at the time of the procedure? Thanks
David A. Szwak

Re: Collection Agency Attempting To Collect Wife's Debt From

Post by David A. Szwak »

Guest-1667 wrote:Hello all. I am hoping someone can answer a question for me.
My wife recently had a surgical procedure at a local hospital. Evidently she failed to pay a small after-insurance balance and the hospital sent it to collections. She is covered by my insurance provided by my employer. However, the collection agency is reporting the account on MY credit reports. I did not receive the treatment and did not sign any paperwork at the hospital. She would have used, however, an insurance card with my name on it. Can the collector list this account on my credit report even though her signature would appear on any payment agreements documents at the time of the procedure? Thanks
You need a dispute letter to the Credit Reporting Agencies: Experian, Equifax, Innovis and Trans Union. You are NOT liable for that and it appears the practice might be wodespread at that facility. Please email me privately or fax me the name and location of that facility. Thanks.

PS - Great screen name.
David Szwak
Chairman, Consumer Protection Section, Louisiana State Bar Association
Bodenheimer, Jones & Szwak
509 Market Street, 7th Floor
Mid South Tower
Shreveport, Louisiana 71101
318-221-6444
Fax 318-221-6555

Return to “General Discussion”