Mulitple posting of same debt by different junk debt buyers

This folder is for general discussion of debt collection issues. As with all postings in this forum, appropriate language and courtesy are to be used or the postings will be struck.
Guest-1673

Mulitple posting of same debt by different junk debt buyers

Post by Guest-1673 »

I've seen a lot of information on this topic, but no real answers. Is it legal for the same debt to be sold multiple times to multiple junk debt buyers? The dollar amount reported is different, the date opened is different and it is still reported by the original debtor. What I mean is the same debt is reported three different times, by three different agencies. Who do you pay? The junk debt collector, the original creditor, the collection agency? Can they tell you that interest has been accruing on the debt for all the years that you have not made the payments if the debt was sold and is no longer held by the original creditor that you made the agreement with?

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks!
David A. Szwak

Re: Mulitple posting of same debt by different junk debt buy

Post by David A. Szwak »

Guest-1673 wrote:I've seen a lot of information on this topic, but no real answers. Is it legal for the same debt to be sold multiple times to multiple junk debt buyers? The dollar amount reported is different, the date opened is different and it is still reported by the original debtor. What I mean is the same debt is reported three different times, by three different agencies. Who do you pay? The junk debt collector, the original creditor, the collection agency? Can they tell you that interest has been accruing on the debt for all the years that you have not made the payments if the debt was sold and is no longer held by the original creditor that you made the agreement with?

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks!
A debt cannot belong to three debt collectors concurrently. You must demand that each validate the debt and contest the duplication to all three, the credit bureaus and the original creditor. Demand that duplications be removed from your reports and that the "true" rightful owner come forward. You might file suit under the FDCPA against those who do not but claimed to be the owner. You might pursue other DTPA claims, etc.
David Szwak
Chairman, Consumer Protection Section, Louisiana State Bar Association
Bodenheimer, Jones & Szwak
509 Market Street, 7th Floor
Mid South Tower
Shreveport, Louisiana 71101
318-221-6444
Fax 318-221-6555

Return to “General Discussion”