It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:58 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:02 am 

This is my first post (maybe obvious) and it may just be a stupid question, but I would really like to know: How much attorney's fees or how much of "a win" does it take to make it "worth it" for a really good attorney to accept to represent someone with complaints?

I have just learned so much these last few months about the FDCPA and the FCRA (and last week I found the UCC) and I have started searching for a local attorney to help me with a debt situation. I'm afraid though that my one little (little to others, BIG to me) case isn't big/fancy enough for a good attorney to take, because there are no big mysteries to it.

So now I'm wondering, if a case is really basic, without tons of court dates, is there still a chance that a good attorney would take the case? Does it depend on the number of violations, or how many times each violation happened so they could add up to more fines for the attorney? Or does it just depend on hours? I'm afraid there's not going to be that many hours needed and that the better attorney's won't be interested to help just me, so I'd like to find out for sure just what attorneys think.

Thank you for your ideas about this :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:04 am 
Site Admin

dinawa wrote:
This is my first post (maybe obvious) and it may just be a stupid question, but I would really like to know: How much attorney's fees or how much of "a win" does it take to make it "worth it" for a really good attorney to accept to represent someone with complaints? **** So now I'm wondering, if a case is really basic, without tons of court dates, is there still a chance that a good attorney would take the case? Does it depend on the number of violations, or how many times each violation happened so they could add up to more fines for the attorney? Or does it just depend on hours? I'm afraid there's not going to be that many hours needed and that the better attorney's won't be interested to help just me, so I'd like to find out for sure just what attorneys think. Thank you for your ideas about this :)

I have never seen a "really basic case." That is a kiss of death when an attorney thinks that it is so basic that it is a no-brainer. No lawsuit is a no-brainer. If it were that bad, the defendant should already be knocking on your door with a check.

It is a judgment call by each attorney as to their indiviual interest. We are required to investigate the claims and that can be time-consuming. Obviously multiple violations enlarge your odds of having a successful action and therefore recovery. Each attorney has his or her own considerations so this question cannot really be answered. It may also be obvious that we all have to make the best use of our time.